Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

CLARENCE SCHARBAUER RETURNS TO KEENELAND

Go down 
AuthorMessage
smokey

smokey

Number of posts : 573
Registration date : 2007-04-26

CLARENCE SCHARBAUER RETURNS TO KEENELAND Empty
PostSubject: CLARENCE SCHARBAUER RETURNS TO KEENELAND   CLARENCE SCHARBAUER RETURNS TO KEENELAND Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2007, 5:16 pm

COURTESY OF STALLIONESEARCH.COM

Scharbauer Makes Big Return at Keeneland September Sale

LEXINGTON, KY—SEPTEMBER 24, 2007—Clarence Scharbauer, Jr., a long-time Quarter Horse and Thoroughbred owner from Midland, Texas, returned to the September Keeneland yearling sale for the first time sine 1996 saying he was "looking for the best yearlings here."
Scharbauer and his family campaigned 1988 Horse of the Year Alysheba.

During the two select sessions on September 10-11, Scharbauer spent $2.7 million for three yearlings, including a $1.4 million half-sister to Preakness and Belmont winner Afleet Alex by Awesome Again.

He also purchased a $700,000 Unbridled Song—Proposal colt and a $600,000 A.P. Indy—Mountain Girl colt.

"I've got two Kentucky Derby(G1) trophies in my house, and I'd like to get a third one before I die, " Scharbauer said.

A $500,000 1985 Keeneland Select yearling, Alysheba won the 1987 Kentucky Derby while racing for Scharbauer's late wife Dorothy and his daughter Pamela. His father-in-law, Fred Turner, Jr., raced 1959 Kentucky Derby winner Tomy Lee.

Scharbauer was accompanied at the sale by trainer Bret Calhoun and Ken Carson, General Manager of his Valor Farm near Pilot Point, Texas.

"He has missed seeing all the people he knows at Keeneland, and I think he's enjoyed seeing them again as much as he has buying the horses," Carson said.

A former president of the American Quarter Horse Association, Scharbauer has been prominent in the industry for over 40 years and is a member of the AQHA Hall of Fame. His wife Dorothy, who passed away in 2005, owned racehorses from a very young age. She learned much about the industry from her father and won her first stakes race, the 1953 Ruidoso Derby, at the age of 22.
Back to top Go down

CLARENCE SCHARBAUER RETURNS TO KEENELAND
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Equine Online :: General Off Topic Discussions-
Jump to: