Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rags To Riches runs 2nd

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Justin

Justin

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2007-04-25

Rags To Riches runs 2nd Empty
PostSubject: Rags To Riches runs 2nd   Rags To Riches runs 2nd Icon_minitimeSeptember 15th 2007, 8:33 pm

From ESPN.com

NEW YORK -- The filly phenom can be beaten after all.

Lear's Princess overtook Belmont Stakes winner Rags to Riches in the stretch and pulled off an upset Saturday in the $250,000 Gazelle Stakes at Belmont Park.

Rags to Riches, one of racing's most popular stars after becoming the first filly in 102 years to win the Belmont, was sent off as the 2-5 favorite but was unable to hold off the surging Lear's Princess in the final furlong.

Lear's Princess is no slouch, though. The bay filly trained by Kiaran McLaughlin won her first three starts, then finished second in both the Coaching Club American Oaks and the Alabama Stakes - races Rags to Riches missed because of a series of summer setbacks.

Rags to Riches, ridden by John Velazquez, moved into the lead around the final turn, but Lear's Princess caught her midway through the stretch and won by a half length, covering the 1 1-8 miles in 1:47.86.

Trained by Todd Pletcher, Rags to Riches was coming off a 98-day layoff in which she spiked a fever several times and was sent to the New Bolton Center in Kennett Square, Pa., for a series of tests to make sure nothing was wrong.

The Gazelle was supposed to be a triumphant return for the "Belle of Belmont" in a final prep before the $2 million Breeders' Cup Distaff at Monmouth Park on Oct. 27, but Lear's Princess played spoiler.

"I want to congratulate Todd and everyone for getting this filly back," McLaughlin said. "I hate to beat her but I need to win a Grade 1 race. She will be tough the next time."

Earlier, the long-awaited debut of The Green Monkey was a disappointment when the 3-year-old colt purchased for a record $16 million last year finished third in a six-furlong maiden race. Pletcher also trains The Green Monkey.
Back to top Go down
smokey

smokey

Number of posts : 573
Registration date : 2007-04-26

Rags To Riches runs 2nd Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rags To Riches runs 2nd   Rags To Riches runs 2nd Icon_minitimeSeptember 16th 2007, 1:36 pm

Ok, she can be beaten as evidenced yesterday BUT I put all the blame on her trainer for not having her more in shape as he had plenty of time. Treating any race horse with kid gloves just doesn't get it. Not taking anything away from Lear's Princess as she was the best horse on Saturday and deserved to win.
Back to top Go down

Rags To Riches runs 2nd
Page 1 of 1