Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

NEW Girlie!

Go down 
+2
Lynn M.
Kidd Kuhlmann
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2007-02-12

NEW Girlie! Empty
PostSubject: NEW Girlie!   NEW Girlie! Icon_minitimeSeptember 12th 2007, 2:58 pm

Sooo -
I now have a new girlie! She is a 3yo TB mare...she is solid sorrel and cute as a little bug! She was pretty hard used this spring so we're giving her more time off and then back to the track she goes as a 4yo!
I'll try to get pics soon but I just had to tell people! I'm SUPER excited about her!

There is a problem though...and I'll BET that some of you either have experience with this or ideas...SO -
Last night I went to pick her up...it was dark but the trailer has a light in it, this is a 3 horse slant without a rear tack, so its pretty wide open...
She would NOT load...we finally coax her in using feed (when all else fails bribe her to get her home and we'll learn stuff later)...after picking up her feet and putting them IN the trailer for her and coaxing with feed she was all loaded and happy. We put her in the FRONT slant...tied her in and all was good.
She started pawing so we started driving and she was instantly quiet...we had to stop for diesel so we stopped, ran inside for about 2-3minutes tops and came out to find her facing backwards with one slant down and the tie hanging from her halter. She was an angel about it though and had no problem letting us take both slants out while she was loose (no way was I going to unload her at the gas station after all of the problems we had loading her to begin with)...so we took the slants out, took the halter off because the tie wouldn't come off, and she rode in a "box stall" all the way home... She rode like a champ. We got her home, gave her a bath (she was all sweaty), and Dr-ed her up (she cut her face in 2 places and her back left leg)...
This is the odd thing though - she was a SAINT to Dr on...she let us put silver spray on her face even (its all we had last night at 11:00pm at that barn)...she was just perfect...we put her in her stall and she settled in like an old pro...
SO - how do we get the little bugger to stand in a slant without killing herself??? I am thinking lots of work in the stocks and maybe try a trailer with a stud wall? I dunno - but I love the little wench already!
Back to top Go down
http://www.kuhlmannequine.com
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2007-02-08

NEW Girlie! Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEW Girlie!   NEW Girlie! Icon_minitimeSeptember 12th 2007, 4:14 pm

I think your ideas sound good I wonder if she would trailer better with a buddy? Also pictures please!!! Would love to see her... Wink
Back to top Go down
Cindy

Cindy

Number of posts : 871
Registration date : 2007-02-07

NEW Girlie! Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEW Girlie!   NEW Girlie! Icon_minitimeSeptember 12th 2007, 8:50 pm

Hmmmmmm, just a thought. She does tie right? If not maybe she paniced when she found out she was tied? I had a mare like that. I left her untied in her slant and she was an angel. Tied her and she reared up and dented the top of the trailer and knocked over a slant also.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockin911.com
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415

NEW Girlie! Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEW Girlie!   NEW Girlie! Icon_minitimeSeptember 12th 2007, 9:24 pm

Good thought on the tieing. bounce I always haul with hay in front of mine so they have something to do when traveling. icecream Buddy sounds good but that is not always possible or practicle. No Sounds like she may have a tieing issue. I would practice on the loading thing too. doggie Some just refuse and that is a major pain in the a$$.. She sounds willing and loveable. Good luke.. ily
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Bellablue

Bellablue

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2007-05-10

NEW Girlie! Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEW Girlie!   NEW Girlie! Icon_minitimeSeptember 13th 2007, 11:11 pm

Was she in the first stall next to the wall? I had a mare that would have huge problems in the front. She would try to spread her front feet, hit the wall and start to fall down. I went back one time and she was halfway under the divider. If I hauled her in the middle or the back she didn't have any problems. Some horses need a wider foot base to be able to stand in the trailer.
Back to top Go down
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2007-02-12

NEW Girlie! Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEW Girlie!   NEW Girlie! Icon_minitimeSeptember 14th 2007, 12:44 am

I hadn't thought of that Bella - it makes sense though!

I'll try her in the middle with a buddy at home and see how she does!

Right now she looks a bit scary - I've got her all kinds of Dr-ed up...so pics are going to wait until next week when she looks a bit less like a science project gone horribly wrong!!! Razz

She LOVES the Eurocyzer! She's an absolute little doll to be around MOST of the time...She thinks she is one hot mama!

Oh - and I've been letting her stand tied and she's been fine with it... I'm waiting until I get my pony horse here to stand in the trailer next to her - you could set a bomb off in the trailer and when the dust cleared he'd be standing there looking at you like "is it dinner time yet?" - so I figure he's a good guy to stand next to her in the testing cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.kuhlmannequine.com
SuperLope

SuperLope

Number of posts : 300

NEW Girlie! Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEW Girlie!   NEW Girlie! Icon_minitimeSeptember 14th 2007, 8:23 pm

aha good luck with her! she sounds like a nice girl!

the trailer thing will be sorted out she will find out that she is in a good place!

GOOD LUCK she sounds like a nice one!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

NEW Girlie! Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEW Girlie!   NEW Girlie! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NEW Girlie!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Equine Online :: General Off Topic Discussions-
Jump to: