Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP!

Go down 
+3
Triple J Quarter Horses
Bucks&Blues
Cindy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Cindy

Cindy

Number of posts : 871
Registration date : 2007-02-07

Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP!   Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP! Icon_minitimeSeptember 11th 2007, 11:49 am

Okay maybe I am freaking out but my baby that had nice straight legs..... well it looks to me like her right front is toeing out. Can I fix this before it progresses or am I panicing? affraid
I'll get some pics while I am there tonight and a video.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockin911.com
Bucks&Blues

Bucks&Blues

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2007-02-10

Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP!   Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP! Icon_minitimeSeptember 11th 2007, 1:31 pm

My colt did that when he was about 8 months old. We had him on a strict trimming schedule, and the farrier trimmed him a certain way. After about 5 visits all was well, he was fixed. Its probably just one of her growth spurts, and with the farrier she should be fine.

Vegas did the same thing too right before her yearling year, and she was on a strict schedule, and it turned out fine.

Before I sold Emma to Slim&Emma, her back legs did it too.

I think your farrier will be able to correct her. If left alone it might get worse.

Ask your farrier, cause Im not a professional, but it sounds like what all of my babies have done.
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP!   Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP! Icon_minitimeSeptember 11th 2007, 2:11 pm

Dont freak out now! affraid

Wait till she is older then 12 months, Hee hee, you have time, she needs trimmed on the out side every 4 weeks, leave heel! IF she is coming out of her bone correctly its just a growth issue and can be corrected. Even if she is starting to turn with the bone you still have time to help her out here.
Just stay on top of it and keep the farrier after her.. riding
Back to top Go down
Cindy

Cindy

Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP!   Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP! Icon_minitimeSeptember 11th 2007, 2:20 pm

I've already got a call in to the farrier, but just so I understand.....my logic says if you trim the outside it will turn the toe MORE to the outside???? Shouldn't the INSIDE be trimmed to bring it back in or am I analyzing it waaaayyyyyy to much! LOL
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228

Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP!   Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP! Icon_minitimeSeptember 11th 2007, 2:53 pm

I know I know, But this is the way it works, When a horse travels, I hate this I use argue the same fact until I went to a farriers clinic and they all told me that. Still doesnt make sense to me. But it has to do with the way the horse travels and puts its hoof down??? Something about the low side hitting first and forcing the correction??? Heck, didnt make sense to me then and still doesnt! affraid
Back to top Go down
Cindy

Cindy

Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP!   Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP! Icon_minitimeSeptember 11th 2007, 3:30 pm

ugh! Well, hopefully he can get it fixed. I need straight legs! darn it.

Thanks for the help everyone. Sorry for the freaking out! lol!
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034

Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP!   Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP! Icon_minitimeSeptember 11th 2007, 9:23 pm

send me pics and I will have my hubby review them... he does farrier work corrective....
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415

Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP!   Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP! Icon_minitimeSeptember 11th 2007, 9:39 pm

YOU NEVER DO CORRECTIVE ON A BABY!!!!!!!!!!! You can mess them up for life.. Have a good straight trim for show. As the body grows they can move in and out. Mild adjustments can solve this problem. Lynn's husband does farrier work and will tell you this. Triple J is right on. Wait.. You can get a good straight trim for the show though and this will not do any damage.. Then keep her balanced and correct. Those little feet will go in and out as they grow. If you try to move them one direction they can go way over that way as they add substance to their frame.. riding

I always trim my babes once a month. riding
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Cindy

Cindy

Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP!   Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP! Icon_minitimeSeptember 11th 2007, 10:28 pm

Okay! We have her trimmed too, tomorrow the farrier is coming out a week early since I called him spazzing out! lol
I guess I am watching her grow to close. If she sheds a hair, I know about it. hahaha
Back to top Go down
7cedars

Number of posts : 1667

Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP!   Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP! Icon_minitimeSeptember 12th 2007, 7:59 am

No worries, it's just a baby thing.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP!   Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP! Icon_minitimeSeptember 12th 2007, 11:28 am

lol! Wait until next year when she will really grow and change off and on through out the year.. You will walk out one day and she will have grown out of her blanket over night.. riding
Back to top Go down
shazgeoff

shazgeoff

Number of posts : 850
Registration date : 2007-02-10

Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP!   Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP! Icon_minitimeSeptember 13th 2007, 4:22 pm

on the subject of babies feet etc.
Im possibly looking a a colt foal who was born rather gangly looks a bit behind for his age.Anyway he has upright pasterns at 2 months old,would that change as he develops into himself.
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034

Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP!   Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP! Icon_minitimeSeptember 13th 2007, 4:48 pm

I wouldn't think that would change much the angle of the joints etc... are pretty much going to be set if you aren't happy with what you are seeing at this point I would be a little concerned esp if he is fairly upright that is usually correlated to a pretty straight shoulder.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP!   Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP! Icon_minitimeSeptember 15th 2007, 11:10 am

Mothers milk can cause that as well. This is usually caused by an in balance of nutrients. Such as too much calcium and not enough phosphorus and the protien level is now known to cause the problem too. I would keep an eye on that as well. This is kinda young for that.. Normally this happens when they are getting a lot of feed along with the mares milk at his age. This is seen more in weanlings that are over fed. icecream

Also, may be nothing or he could have contracted flexor tendons already. study
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP!   Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Equine Online :: General Off Topic Discussions-
Jump to: