Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

DIAMOND TRES SEIS WINS SAM HOUSTON DERBY

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
smokey

smokey

Number of posts : 573
Registration date : 2007-04-26

DIAMOND TRES SEIS WINS SAM HOUSTON DERBY Empty
PostSubject: DIAMOND TRES SEIS WINS SAM HOUSTON DERBY   DIAMOND TRES SEIS WINS SAM HOUSTON DERBY Icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2007, 3:04 am

COURTESY OF STALLIONESEARCH.COM

DIAMOND TRES SEIS WINS SAM HOUSTON DERBY DiamondTresSeiswiiningSamHoustonDer
Diamond Tres Seis and Gilbert Oritiz winning the Sam Houston Derby(G2) on Saturday. Photo by Coady Photography

Diamond Tres Seis Captures the $114,400 Sam Houston Derby(G2)

SAM HOUSTON RACE PARK—SEPTEMBER 8, 2007—Diamond Tres Seis was the fourth fastest qualifier in trials run on August 25, but was much the best tonight, winning the $114,400 Sam Houston Derby (G2). The Texas-bred gelding is owned by Mercy and Ray Hinklin of Livingston , Texas and trained by Heath Taylor.

This was the fourth Sam Houston Derby win for American Quarter Horse rider Gilbert Ortiz. He won his third edition of the race last year with Fly Corona Cat with wins in 2003 on First N Kool and 2004 with Splendid Sam Perry.

Taylor had two of the fastest qualifiers in the final, My First Passion and Diamond Tres Seis. The winner a gelded son of Tres Seis, sent off at 10-1, broke well and powered to the wire of the 440-yard stakes in 21.43 seconds, barely missing the track record of :21.35.

“He ran a huge race,” commented Ortiz. “He was a little flat in the trials, but did everything right tonight.”

“Mercy and Ray’s patience with me and this horse is what made the difference,” said Taylor . “This horse showed run early in his career, but had some soreness in his shoulders as a 2-year-old. We took him home over the winter and gelded him he has really matured.”

Happy Streaker, a son of Streakin La Jolla who was the second fastest qualifier, made a late run under Rodrigo Vallejo for second and Snowy Alibi, by This Snow Is Royal was third, followed by Taylor’s other colt, My First Passion, by First Down Dash.

Trainer Janet Van Bebber has won five Sam Houston training titles, trained two AQHA World Champions and was hoping to add another milestone to her illustrious career this evening with a win by Snowy Alibi. He would have been the first horse in the track’s history to capture the Sam Houston Futurity and return one year later with a victory in the Sam Houston Derby.

Snowy Alibi will represent Texas in the Bayer Legend Derby Championships this November at Los Alamitos. Diamond Tres Seis will head to Lone Star Park for the Texas Classic Derby.

Diamond Tres Seis ran a career-high 103 Speed Index this evening and earned $45,760 for his first stakes win. He returned a win payout of $22.00 and keyed a $$67 exacta with Happy Streaker. The trifecta with Snowy Alibi returned $171.80 and fastest qualifier, My First Passion completed the $292 superfecta. Reba Cleata, Fish for Dreams, A Special Stoli and Running Away completed the order of finish. First Signing and Leader Bored were early scratches.
Back to top Go down
Justin

Justin

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2007-04-25

PostSubject: Re: DIAMOND TRES SEIS WINS SAM HOUSTON DERBY   DIAMOND TRES SEIS WINS SAM HOUSTON DERBY Icon_minitimeSeptember 10th 2007, 8:52 pm

That was a great race, I was glad to see Gilberto win it. They took him off My First Passion cause he got beat in the Firecracker, and he still outran him with a 10-1 shot. Happy Streaker is a really nice mare, Louisiana bred, but not accredited. She'd be pretty tough on em if she was.
Back to top Go down
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: DIAMOND TRES SEIS WINS SAM HOUSTON DERBY   DIAMOND TRES SEIS WINS SAM HOUSTON DERBY Icon_minitimeSeptember 11th 2007, 11:36 am

Wow - glad you're back Justin!
What does My First Passion look like? What are his faults? Tryin to figure out where we should take the full sister to his momma next year...thinking maybe Tres Seis...
Back to top Go down
http://www.kuhlmannequine.com
Justin

Justin

PostSubject: Re: DIAMOND TRES SEIS WINS SAM HOUSTON DERBY   DIAMOND TRES SEIS WINS SAM HOUSTON DERBY Icon_minitimeSeptember 11th 2007, 1:35 pm

Hi Kidd, My First Passion is awesome when you stand next to him. They hauled him in from their ranch, so we didn't do any vet work on him, except lasix. But he wasn't finishing in the finals like he did in the trials. It looks like he had some problems last year since it said he was vanned off after the all american and had the rest of the year off. I didn't look at his conformation, but as far as bodywise, he doesn't have any faults. A lot of muscle mass and really well balanced.

I love Tres Seis, he'll cross good with anything. He gives em a lot of size and heart. That should really cross with a Chicks Beduino mare. It looks like First Down Dash worked good with her, so maybe a son of his would be good also. I like Brimmerton, but I haven't seen any of his colts so hes still unproven I guess. Don't yall have a Brimmerton baby?
Back to top Go down
Kidd Kuhlmann

Kidd Kuhlmann

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: DIAMOND TRES SEIS WINS SAM HOUSTON DERBY   DIAMOND TRES SEIS WINS SAM HOUSTON DERBY Icon_minitimeSeptember 11th 2007, 2:29 pm

Yeah - we have a weanling Brimmerton out of our Separatist mare...
He wasn't much to look at when he was born but it looks like he is coming into his own - he has muscles everywhere! I should have some good pics of him here in about 2wks....we're going to drop off my 2yo to be turned out and pick up our yearling This Snow Is Royal filly and get her going in the right direction...right now she is a bit on the wild side Razz

I'll have to get pics of the mares and the Brimmerton colt when I'm out there! We're also going to pick up our real pony horse so that will be WONDERFUL for Lonestar!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.kuhlmannequine.com
Justin

Justin

PostSubject: Re: DIAMOND TRES SEIS WINS SAM HOUSTON DERBY   DIAMOND TRES SEIS WINS SAM HOUSTON DERBY Icon_minitimeSeptember 11th 2007, 7:50 pm

That'd be great. I really want to see that Brimmerton colt. Let us know when you post them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DIAMOND TRES SEIS WINS SAM HOUSTON DERBY   DIAMOND TRES SEIS WINS SAM HOUSTON DERBY Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

DIAMOND TRES SEIS WINS SAM HOUSTON DERBY
Page 1 of 1