Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Club Foot

Go down 
+2
Bluejay
Mare
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Mare

Mare

Number of posts : 522
Registration date : 2007-04-16

Club Foot Empty
PostSubject: Club Foot   Club Foot Icon_minitimeSeptember 6th 2007, 8:30 am

I don't know if any of you have ever dealt with a Club Foot but I'm dealing with my first. I noticed she was way up on her one front, its like it happened in three days. Called the vet and he said yup its a club foot . Well he said the one good thing is that its her left front instead of her right front. Right front means that it was hereditary. Left front means there's hope. So he put some glue on shoes on her, which have helped a lot. He wants her toe to grow out more. But he wanted to try this before he jumps in and does surgery. And of coarse he wants her to be weaned and lose a little weight so she 's lighter on her feet. So I'm going to wean this weekend.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Number of posts : 2415
Registration date : 2007-02-07

Club Foot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Club Foot   Club Foot Icon_minitimeSeptember 6th 2007, 1:43 pm

Arab's are prone to that. My friend who is a breeder said they can take care of those most the time with trimming and shoeing. I have never had one. I do have friends who have though.. You know one of them.. They can be corrected with trimming and then there is surgery for it too. Sounds like you may be on it early enough to get it under control with the trimming.. study
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmysite.com/bissellquarterhorses
Cindy

Cindy

Number of posts : 871

Club Foot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Club Foot   Club Foot Icon_minitimeSeptember 6th 2007, 3:27 pm

I've heard so many rumors about club feet? How do they get a club foot???
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockin911.com
Mare

Mare

Club Foot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Club Foot   Club Foot Icon_minitimeSeptember 6th 2007, 7:24 pm

Good question, I hear that some is hereditary or from growing to fast. But I really dont know myself. The vet just said he didnt think her's was hereditary from looking at her mom and grandma and because it was her left front. But he wants her on grass hay to slow her growth down.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Club Foot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Club Foot   Club Foot Icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2007, 10:15 pm

HUM, I know some get passed on. And, some are from poor trimming and the sole not being cleaned up as it should. If this is a foal the trimming is not likely the problem. study Too young

Now, some vets think a foot looks a little like a club and in fact is not.. Basketball

Now, you know what I do with my babies and I have never in my life heard or seen one of them growing too fast to cause that. When they grow too fast they get upright in the fetlocks and bend over in the knees.. Shakey legs.. Doesn't have anything to do with the hoof.. No

Now I will just take a wild guess that that is not a club foot at all. And the glue ons would not be the fix if it was. I have been there done that with experts and you may just have a baby that needs to be trimmed, heels dropped, some toe and soal cleaned up real good. We can talk about it in Spokane. If you have some shots send them to me at home.. coffee
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Number of posts : 2228
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Club Foot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Club Foot   Club Foot Icon_minitimeSeptember 10th 2007, 12:29 pm

Now I will just take a wild guess that that is not a club foot at all.

BlueJay, Id almost have to agree. It sounds more like a wearing of the hoof, and since she is so young you have alot of time for correction.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Club Foot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Club Foot   Club Foot Icon_minitimeSeptember 11th 2007, 10:02 pm

Triple J.. The filly is wearing off toe.. the stinker any how. I hope it all works out and I sent Mare some info so she can stay in control of the work the vet is doing. The vets will do what ever as long as the money is flowing.. When the $$ runs out they drop you like a hot potatoe.. lol!
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Club Foot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Club Foot   Club Foot Icon_minitimeOctober 2nd 2007, 1:05 pm

So what did the farrier say??
Back to top Go down
Mare

Mare

Club Foot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Club Foot   Club Foot Icon_minitimeMay 15th 2008, 11:27 pm

Well here's an update. I took her in last Saturday and they did the surgery Monday. I get to pick her up this Saturday. I know they will come out to change the bandages. They cut the ligament and said she should heal fine. So I will know more when she gets home.
Back to top Go down
Triple J Quarter Horses

Triple J Quarter Horses

Club Foot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Club Foot   Club Foot Icon_minitimeMay 22nd 2008, 10:55 am

Hows the baby doing?
Back to top Go down
Mare

Mare

Club Foot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Club Foot   Club Foot Icon_minitimeMay 22nd 2008, 12:59 pm

The vet called and said she would be out Saturday to change the bandage. Then its a matter of time to keep filing her heal down. But while she was in at the vets she came home with a cough and now the rest of my herd caught it. So now I get to deal with that. They said it just has to run its coarse.
Back to top Go down
reiningfan

reiningfan

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2007-02-13

Club Foot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Club Foot   Club Foot Icon_minitimeMay 22nd 2008, 2:09 pm

The worst part about bringing your horse to the vets is that a lot of the other animals there are sick. It's hard to come home without some new virus. But, yeah, it'll run it's course.
I'm hoping the foot is good. Do they really go that long between changing the dressings? I wouldn't have thought it.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Club Foot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Club Foot   Club Foot Icon_minitimeMay 26th 2008, 1:03 pm

I think it's amazing they can fix those problems.. cheers Nice they are coming to change dressing for you as well. I would have done that myself since no one around here would do that without charging and arm and a leg for it. And, would take a lot of time and money to run them back and forth.. We did this with a colt that had a broken leg repaird. What a nightmare that was.. affraid
Back to top Go down
Mare

Mare

Club Foot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Club Foot   Club Foot Icon_minitimeMay 26th 2008, 3:38 pm

They said it was severe and its gonna be a long process. They will be out again Friday to change the bandage again and file her hoof some more. She is gonna have weekly filings.
Club Foot Lexi08001

Club Foot Lexi08004
Back to top Go down
reiningfan

reiningfan

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2007-02-13

Club Foot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Club Foot   Club Foot Icon_minitimeMay 27th 2008, 9:47 am

Poor baby. I hope she's fine after all that. Works wonders on their manners to be handled that often though.
Back to top Go down
Bluejay

Bluejay

Club Foot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Club Foot   Club Foot Icon_minitimeMay 29th 2008, 12:56 pm

lol! That's so true. The only good thing is all that handling does make them behave better... I have seen that surgery done and it really worked for the horses I saw. It does take time. coffee

Arabs have this problem a lot. I have a friend who breeds them and shows on a national level. She said it's really comon for that breed. riding

At least you are on your way.. Dancing pray
Back to top Go down
Cindy

Cindy

Number of posts : 871

Club Foot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Club Foot   Club Foot Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2010, 9:32 am

I am curious how this club foot turned out. My 5mo old is over in the knees on both legs and has club feet. He has been wearing his toes and we keep the heels off but it seems like we are going to have to go the surgery route. Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockin911.com
Bluejay

Bluejay

Club Foot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Club Foot   Club Foot Icon_minitimeOctober 15th 2010, 10:05 pm

When you look at a club foot you see a filled in sole and no angle on the heal, broken off toe.. They can do surgery on them and fix them.. But, I would try cleaning up the soal and putting an angle by taking down the heal before I went that route.. Everyone has an opinion on this.. It can be heretitary no matter what foot it's on.. It can also be the way they move and wear down the hoof.. Can you post some pics? pray
Back to top Go down
Lynn M.

Lynn M.

Number of posts : 1034

Club Foot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Club Foot   Club Foot Icon_minitimeOctober 19th 2010, 10:54 am

I can tell you a little more about club feet dealing with it every day myself in a human it is the shortness of the achieles tendon that causes trouble so we reposition the bones of the feet through casting then cut the tendon and cast which causes the tendon to heal longer. Now in horses I believe we cut the extensor tendon it is really important that you keep up on trims in order to never let them get up on their toes and need to start over again. My understanding is heels low and you can have a sound horse. Beautiful animal!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Club Foot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Club Foot   Club Foot Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Club Foot
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Equine Online :: Veterinary Station-
Jump to: