Equine Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Equine Online

Everything Horses

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

CAN PAUL JONES GET A THIRD ALL AMERICAN?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
smokey

smokey

Number of posts : 573
Registration date : 2007-04-26

CAN PAUL JONES GET A THIRD ALL AMERICAN? Empty
PostSubject: CAN PAUL JONES GET A THIRD ALL AMERICAN?   CAN PAUL JONES GET A THIRD ALL AMERICAN? Icon_minitimeAugust 29th 2007, 7:54 pm

COURTESY OF AQHA RACING

JONES SEEKS RECORD THIRD CONSECUTIVE ALL AMERICAN FUTURITY WIN

August 29, 2007 -- As the eighth-fastest qualifier to Monday’s $1.9 million All American Futurity (G1), SF Royal Bank might seem an unlikely candidate to give trainer Paul Jones an unprecedented third consecutive victory in the race.

However, Jones wouldn't be 100 percent surprised if that happens. His first All American victory came in 2005 with Teller Cartel, a 17-1 longshot and the first maiden ever to win the race. Last year, Jones won the race with a more proven runner, fastest qualifier No Secrets Here.

Despite being lightly raced, SF Royal Bank has a stellar pedigree suited to a big Labor Day performance. By 1991 All American winner Royal Quick Dash, the gray colt is out of champion Shake The Bank, who was second to Winalota Cash in the ’95 All American.

Bred in Texas by Hector Roldan, SF Royal Bank began his career in June at the Hipodromo de las Americas in Mexico City, where he won the 330-yard, $14,645 Azoom Stakes by one length. Salome Gallegos of El Paso then bought the colt and sent him to Jones at Ruidoso Downs.

“We didn’t know a lot about him until he got here,” said Jones.

SF Royal Bank won a Rainbow Futurity (G1) trial on July 6, his first race for Jones. He qualified to the consolation, but his connections chose not to run him there to give him some time to prepare for the All American trials on August 16.

In the fourth of 18 trials, SF Royal Bank and jockey Freddie Martinez finished fourth behind fastest qualifier Heartswideopen, Sure I Fly and Captain Courage. The trial was the only race of the day to produce more than one qualifier.

Jones also qualified unbeaten Royal Holland Line to the All American, but the gelding was spooked in the winner’s circle after he won the 10th trial, and in a freak incident sustained a deep cut from the top of his cannon bone to his ankle on his right hind leg. A homebred racing for Abigail K. Kawananakoa, the son of Holland Ease was vanned to Jones’s barn, where veterinarians sutured the injury. He currently is recovering in the stall next to SF Royal Bank.

Jones expects SF Royal Bank to run a good race on Monday.

“We’re going to hope for the best,” he said. “We think he’s going to improve. On the other hand, this race is really tough. Wild Six and Heartswideopen, they look like monsters. I don’t think I’ve got a monster.

“Realistically, I don’t think I’ve got a big shot to win the race, but we’re in it,” Jones added. “I didn’t think I had a big shot with Teller Cartel, either.” By Amy Owens
Back to top Go down

CAN PAUL JONES GET A THIRD ALL AMERICAN?
Page 1 of 1